In honor of Pippin’s 10th birthday, I thought it’d be fun to share a “Top 10” list of little-known Pippin facts. Facts about my cat, not the Broadway show.
- Pippin was adopted from a girl I worked with at Crate & Barrel. She put up a sign in the stockroom advertising “Gray Kittens.” She was asking $10 for each kitten, but I don’t think I ever paid her.
- Pippin has moved with me three times.
- Pippin and I spent the first few months alone, and then when we moved to Andersonville with Jason and Chad in July of 2000, he encountered his first roommate, Kiki. I discovered that Pippin does much better living with a roommate.
- Pippin has 8 of his 9 lives. He spent one when he fell out of our third floor porch window one night in 2000, which led to a frantic search for him all throughout the neighborhood. I found him in front of the building, trying to claw himself into a basement window.
- Pippin met his now-brother, Screech, in May of 2001. They’ve been inseparable ever since.
- Pippin was named after the 1971 musical, “Pippin,” by Stephen Schwartz.
- Pippin is definitely a Tabby, but more than one person has mentioned they can see Abyssinian in him as well.
- Pippin is a small cat, especially when compared to his younger, but much bigger, brother. I often wonder if he was the runt of the litter.
- Pippin is extremely cuddly and affectionate, but of my two boys he is absolutely the scoundrel. If there is food within reach, Pippin will find it.
- When I adopted Pippin he was only 7 weeks old. I estimated his birthday to be February 17 since I adopted him on May 17, 2000. Adopting Pippin was one of the best things I ever did. He’s brought me so much joy and love. I can’t imagine not having a pet now. These 10 years have gone by so fast… I hope we have 10 more in our future. Happy Birthday, Pippin!