Those of us who have been blogging for a few years or more (Yipe- it’s almost been 5 years for me!) have done memes like this before. Back in “the day,” everyone did “100 Things About Me” lists. I still have mine, and still update it every so often– in fact, I just updated it a few days ago.
But over on Facebook, the latest craze– aside from wearing Aretha’s Hat— is to do a list of 25 as-yet-unknown facts about oneself. I’ve been tagged a few times to do this list, but haven’t done mine yet.
So here it is.
Oh… and if you’ve been tagged (this is specifically for Facebook users), that means I’d like to know more about you. But you’re certainly not obliged to do anything.
1. When I was a kid, I was skinny as a rail, with knobby knees. That all changed in 7th grade.
2. I used to tap dance, and won a few trophies doing so.
3. Even though I’m 38 years old, I have very little gray hair, and no, I don’t dye my hair. It’s a hereditary thing.
4. In 5th grade, I cut my own bangs — poorly — and blamed it on the barber. I told people he made a mistake because a firetruck went by just as he was cutting them. Yeah, I thought I was clever.
5. I taught myself almost everything I know about desktop publishing and graphic design, and have managed to make a decent career of it.
6. I’ve always enjoyed singing. I have tapes of my mom and I singing Carpenters songs from when I was 3 years old.
7. I started reading at the age of 3. My parents tried to get me into the “gifted” program, but my math skills were not good enough. They still aren’t.
8. I have a well-tuned internal compass. I know which way is North at all times.
9. I like nice things, but I don’t need to have the big labels to make me happy.
10. I refuse to spend more than $20 on a pair of sunglasses. I’ll only lose or break them anyway.
11. I started shaving when I was 14. My beard grows so fast, by the end of the day you wouldn’t know I’d shaved that day.
12. I’ve only been in one relationship in my lifetime, and that was 8 years ago.
13. I come from a small family. I have one sister, one 1st cousin, and I have one aunt and one uncle– a priest– by blood relation. My mom was an only child.
14. My mom still lives in the house we lived in when I was born.
15. I enjoy sports – baseball and football are my favorites. I’m a Cubs fan and a Packers fan. So there.
16. I used to play basketball, football and baseball as a kid. Of the three, I was only marginally good at basketball and baseball. I was awful at football.
17. I took swimming lessons for about 5 years when I was little. I was pretty good at the time.
18. I took organ lessons. We had an old Sears organ that used to be my Grandma’s, so we took lessons to play it. I would like to play piano someday.
19. I used to have a cabaret gig at Gentry in Chicago from 2000-2001. That ended when I got my current job. Gentry is now closed.
20. The longest job I ever held was at Six Flags Great America. While I did different things while I was there, and I was seasonal for many of the years I was there; I worked there for 12 years.
21. My first job was at a gift shop/tobacco store in Kenosha, where I grew up. I was 15 years old.
22. My first car was a burgundy Renault Encore.
23. I had a Big Wheel, a bike with training wheels, and roller skates as a kid. My childhood was pretty normal.
24. My first dog’s name was Peanut.
25. I’d love to be a dad someday.