So much to do, so little time

Back home safe and sound…

I feel like it’s been another week since my last post, but it’s only been 2 days. So much has happened…


We woke up and headed down to the Financial district. They were having a street fair on Broadway, and Elle bought a gorgeous Indian quilt for her extra bedroom, where her current roommate Rob is staying. Since she’s moving to Australia, she wants to dress the place up a bit so it will sell. I think she made a great choice, personally.

We walked down Broadway toward Ground Zero.

As we got to the end of the block, I immediately recognized familiar buildings.

The Burger King on the corner of Church street that served as a temporary morgue.

The Deutsche Bank building, which although is still standing, is ravaged with mold and will probably soon come down.

The Financial buildings, which now dominate the skyline.

The Wintergarden, which was destroyed and is now rebuilt.

The new 7 World Trade, which is almost completely topped off already.

Century 21, the department store right across the street from WTC, and the Millenium Hilton next to it.

And St. Paul’s Chapel, probably the most moving display of memoribilia about WTC that exists.

And of course, the hole in the ground that once was home to two of the most magnificent towers ever built.

Indeed, when you first see the vast expanse of nothing, surrounded now by a large fence, dotted with stories and pictures of times past, it is jarring. Especially if you have been to this same spot before, when the towers and the complex itself actually stood there. Especially if you remember going into those buildings, never knowing what would happen less than 10 years later.

Especially when you remember what happened, because you watched it happen, in real time. And you remember the sorrow you felt for the people who endured the tragedy, from those who died to those who just happened to be there that day.

It was a lot to take in. And we did, and I’m glad we did.

From Ground Zero we headed to Chinatown, which is right on the outskirts of SoHo and walked the narrow streets and perused the multitude of vendors selling hocked goods at ridiculous prices. We kept going and crossed into SoHo and had lunch, then caught the subway back toward Brooklyn.

On the way back, Elle mentioned that she sometimes gets out at the Brooklyn Bridge and walks across. I was pretty tired, but for some reason, this sounded like something I wanted to do. So I said “Why don’t we do that?”

And so we did. It was the perfect cap to an adventuresome weekend.

I didn’t get to see a show, but I’m ok with that. I’ve seen my share of Broadway-style shows, in fact I’ve seen a few in previews before they even got to Broadway (including The Producers, which was totally unforgettable.) So I really am not mourning that at all. There will be other opportunities.

I caught a cab from Elle’s at 8 and was in the air by 9:30.


Luckily I had to work late so I slept in. My plane landed at 10:30 on Sunday but I didn’t get home until 1am thanks to taking the El home. LONG trip!!! But damn it was good to sleep in my own bed and see my boys. πŸ™‚

But no rest for the wicked. I had pies to make for Thanksgiving and Monday night was the only night I could do it. So when I got home, I immediately started making Sweet Potato Pie. Yum. πŸ™‚ They turned out damn nice, too.


Work and then rehearsal, but wait… the crazy schedule (and cold/warm/wet weather) of New York caught up to me… I went to work but came home early. I’m coughing and have chills and am feeling overall miserable. So as soon as I hit “publish” I am hitting the sack.

And that leads us to now.

Pictures… yes, I know, I am working on trying to get them set up so you can view them easily. I have something ready to go, I just have to upload them to a site. As soon as they are ready I will post the link.

So… with that, I bid you peace. πŸ™‚

6 thoughts on “So much to do, so little time

Comments are closed.