Autumn in New York

Coming to you live from New York City…

I’m having a wonderful time, even if the weather isn’t cooperating so well.

It’s been damp, rainy, warm one minute, cold the next.

But that hasn’t stopped us from hitting the town with much vigor!!!

My flight was about 25 minutes late. We left Chicago in pretty good time but once we got to LaGuardia, we circled around so many times I thought I was going to pass out.

Luckily I didn’t have a bag checked so I got right off the plane and headed toward the baggage claim to meet Elle, my friend who I am staying with. She didn’t recognize me at first. She was probably zoning from waiting for so long for me. πŸ™‚ But it was so great to see her.

I haven’t seen Elle in over 5 years. She was one of the first people I met when I moved to Chicago in 1997. We became fast friends, and have remained so ever since. Our adventures were chronicled in my first journal, which I kept from 1997-1998. Click here to read some of the stories.

So Elle and I, five years later, have reconnected, and are having an absolutely marvelous time.

Yesterday we had dinner and hit the clubs in Chelsea. First we went to XL and then to G. Deadsville. Sure the boys were cute and all, but they were just both kind of not happening. But we walked the streets and checked out the neighborhood. It was a lovely evening, in around the 50’s temp-wise.

We took a taxi back to Elle’s place in Brooklyn Heights, where we had the driver drop us at the promenade. Overlooking Lower Manhattan, this was my first view of that Battery Park area, in person, since 1994. I took some pictures, which I’ll post when I get home. (I forgot my card reader, darnitall.)

Today we slept in a bit and then headed to Uptown, where we intended on having lunch at Serendipity, but it was a mob scene. So we shopped around and caught a cab to the Plaza Hotel, where we took some more pictures and used the bathroom. πŸ˜‰

Off to Greenwich Village, where we finally had dinner at Cowgirl. Great comfort food in a down-home atmosphere with a gay twist. Just what I needed. πŸ™‚

Then off to some shopping… and a visit to the Magnolia Bakery… Oh. My. God. I never smelled such incredible chocolate in all of my life. They were baking fresh cupcakes. I just had to get a few. And some banana pudding that Elle said — and which was confirmed by many of those in line — was the best in the world. Got some of that too. πŸ™‚

Next stop– downtown. Night was upon us, and it was time to see the sights and the lights. We started off near the Ed Sullivan Theatre and made our way to St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Then off to Rockefeller Center and then Times Square. Where it started to pour. Cats and Dogs. It was cold, wet and crowded. I had a headache. It was time to catch a subway home.

I took a 2 hour nap and here I am.

We had plans to head out again, but with the weather being so crummy and us both feeling incredibly crappy, we decided to stay in.

So tomorrow… a visit to Ground Zero. I had visited the World Trade Center in 1994 with my sister, and we went to the top to the observatory. That was just one year after the initial bombing in 1993. It was still fresh in our minds, but we went anyway. So the fact that I actually had visited WTC makes me want to see it now. It just feels like something I need to do.

We’re also going to try to catch Avenue Q, or some show, tomorrow. Hopefully that will happen, but if not, I’m sure we’ll find something exciting to take up our time.

My flight is at 9:00PM NYC time… I’ll be home by 10:30PM Chicago time.

So there’s a lot to do with very little time to do it all. Nothing like being on the go! πŸ™‚

I’ll have pictures galore when I get home. In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend.